A sure sign of fall sliding quickly towards winter is the annual gathering of the swans at water ways along the highway from Anchorage throughout the Kenai Peninsula. They gather and stay for as long as they can keep from being frozen in to the lake surfaces as they eat unceasingly to gather fuel for their bodies to make the long flight to the "lower 48" for the winter season. They spend a lot of time with their tails in the air and their beaks under the water gathering greens. Of course, butts in the air is not the picture that most folks want to see so I chose to take pictures of them sailing over the watery surface in their majestic glory. They are pretty awesome every year and it seems I cannot resist taking pictures year after year. Nature's beauty. On the trek to Seward today to visit with Lewis, I saw the last vestiges of the snow that blanketed the area on Sunday afternoon and evening too. Everett encountered it on his way to Anchorage from Tern Lake area through the Turnagain Pass. Apparently it was especially nasty around Summit Lake. I will see if there are any leftovers tomorrow when I leave Seward and continue to Anchorage.
I got to Seward around noonish and spent some time while Lewis finished his lunch and then we visited for a little while to give his pain meds time to kick in and then we drove through and around town (after getting milkshakes of course) and looked at the waterfall and then the Seward Harbor. He got talk to a few friends and family on my cell phone and then we came back to the Fireweed Lodge where he lives. Gus got up on his lap and enjoyed some extra attention. We will visit for a while tonight and maybe watch some tv and then I will leave in the morning to continue to Anchorage. Brandi will be arriving from hewr 2 week visit to Canaseraga, NY and be here for a week so there will be more to talk about here in a few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment